Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Showing Up


One thing I learned at the Bethesda Healing Workshops was the importance of coming to “the show-up place.”  This place is one of transparency.  Honesty.  Openness.  It’s the place where I need to come to ensure that my recovery progresses.
And I learned that if my husband is working his recovery, I’ll find him there, too.
And do you know what?  He’s been showing up!  We’ve been meeting here at the show-up place for the past few days, like we never have before.  I am amazed.
We’ve been able to talk about things like what recovery looks like for each of us, slips and what to do about slips, boundaries and deal-breakers.  We’re talking about emotional needs, healthy vs unhealthy coping strategies and growing together as we each pursue recovery.  I am amazed that these conversations are taking place… and even more amazed at “how” they’re taking place.  No anger, avoidance, defensiveness.  Just open, honest communication.
For the first time in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. I love this:) Honesty is huge! I am glad you both have arrived. Blessings to you both.

    ReplyDelete